I have never been a huge online shopper because I love the experience of shopping in-store, handling the merchandise, seeing the true colors and textures of each item. But retailers are making it easier and easier to be an impulsive online shopper and I’m slowly coming aboard. Here are a few of my tips and tricks on how to get the best deal.
1. If you are buying from a big name store, never check-out without Googling the name of the store and the words coupon code. This will direct you to many coupon sites where you can view the available codes and their acceptance rates. For example, I decided that we did in fact need the Gazelle bust from Z Gallerie to complete our animal bust collection (see past post Busting Out). I Googled Z Gallerie Coupon Code and came up with a 10% off coupon that saved me over $5.00 on the order in less than 20 seconds.
2. Sign-up to be on the company email list. Banana Republic now sends me emails for 25-40% off their online merchandise almost every other day and most other retailers offer exclusive sales to subscribers.
3. Take advantage of free shipping. Many retailers offer you free shipping if you use their store credit card to make purchases. Others have easy to meet minimums. For example, I am a huge fan of Drugstore.com, which has every drugstore.com item under the sun. They give you automatic free shipping for orders of $50 or more all the time and have special promotions for $25 or more occasionally. Also, their prices are equal to those at Target or Walmart and you can keep a shopping list online.
4. Join loyalty programs even if there is a fee. You can often make the fee back in your first purchase and save big on future purchases. Overstock.com’s rewards program is a perfect example of a paid loyalty program that is worth the money.
5. Don’t forget the deal sites. Some of my favorites include: